Saturday, September 23, 2006

Reunited

Shawn's first bookout - 220906





That was all the pictures I took tonight.

Meeting up with them was the highlight of this week, better than getting back my TMA with relatively good results and catching PR's season 3 premiere.

I went down to Woodlands, the place with our fondest memories, after my class. We went for a spontaneous KTV session at the last minute for 1 hour (Causyway Partyworld closes at 1am, and we went in at 12mn, and the charges were still the same) before sitting down at another random lamp-post outside the interchange to just "chill", as we like to call it.

The guys were caught in army talk, and the girls had no choice but to talk about work.

Talking with Shawn and hearing all his stories brought back many memories of my BMT days. Somehow, I find it difficult to recall details. I have realised that all these time, those "memories" have been lying dormant in my head. I have forgotten how it feels to wake up to 5BX. Or to sing army songs while marching. Or how painful my chin-up regime was. Or how being "tekan" by Sgt Lawrence felt like. Or Sgt Lawrence's famous mole and his funny way of saying "f***ing Ch**B**". Until Shawn reminded me.

Perhaps this is what we all go through, getting caught up with "dailyness" that sometimes, reminiscing about the past can seem like a personal revelation. How blissful it was back then, when all that encompass "life" is training and sleep, and looking forward to meals and book-outs (at least for me). It was instinctual, almost. Early army life was all about these simple habituals that we so neglect, and when we finally get in touch with them again, we learn to appreciate them more.

This supposed "passage" that we all go through has been more than just a journey of personal discovery. I have made many friends that I am glad to keep in touch to this day. Skills that contributed to this being that is me today.

Army has made the yao-nie a more sullen person. And while I totally understood what he is going through, I could neither come up with a consolation, nor a solution for him. I tried to ask myself what it was that made me felt better back then, but I just could not find the answers. Perhaps being "serious" might not be such a bad thing after all.

It changed me. But I was never sure if it was for the better or worse. I just hope that going through all these will make him stronger, yet retain his innocence and comics.

I am glad Team CP finally met-up again. It was much overdue. And while I sigh at how the future might be for the 4 of us, perhaps I have to understand that this is just another "passage" that I have to take. We all move on. As painful and unbearable it is; as unwillingly and stubborn we are to changes; as much as I miss them.

It was rejuvenating, yet heart-wrenching.


No comments: