Wednesday, April 08, 2009

a walk

I took a trip down memory lane.

I know that sounded cheesy. But I cant think of a better way of putting it right now. I took a walk around the old CSS building, my old primary school that has since changed its logo, my old neighbourhood, my old flat that now has lifts on every floor, the bridge over the PIE that links my previous home and the school.

My very Wordsworth-ian trip and my various "spots of time" recollections were slightly melancholic. Amongst many, I recalled the morning bustle and the fresh, crisp morning air. School children going to school, me with packed Gardenia bread with ham and egg (my favourite). Going downslope to CSS, always making it in the nick of time and seeing Gerald and Phuimun at the gate. Going upslope to our classrooms. Thinking of where to hang out after school: Jurong Point or Jurong East? maybe just the nearby Mac or our favourite blue-plated chicken rice. Homework? Just a few simple assignments, filling in the blanks, nothing to be bothered about.

I recalled the various spots where I took pictures.

I've not crossed the bridge since I moved to my present home during Sec 2. It felt different, yet all so familiar. Perhaps its the trees that they cleared that made the PIE road much clearer. I miss the mornings.

I entertained the idea of buying back my old house next time and spending my remaining years there, and what a way to round up a life it would be, coming full circle.


I think we all need to take a walk sometimes. Sometimes we get so caught up with everything that taking a walk, just a slow quiet one on a quiet night (without banglas of cos. strangely i saw none), probably alone, probably with a group of friends, and just relive the times. talking it over dinner doesnt give it credit. I found myself energized in a way.

It was so quiet, as if the whole world was asleep. or that time possibly stood still for me. i finally understood how it feels like.

what's lost cannot be retrieved. but memory is a more powerful tool than we give it credit for.

I realised that this is not the life I want to, and am supposed to lead. I am not fulfilling my potential. I need to change.

No comments: