Wednesday, April 08, 2009

ADAM.LAMBERT.SANG.MAD.WORLD!!!



ADAM.LAMBERT.SANG.MAD.WORLD!!!
ADAM.LAMBERT.SANG.MAD.WORLD!!!
ADAM.LAMBERT.SANG.MAD.WORLD!!!


I am wayyyyyy elated because ADAM.LAMBERT.SANG.MAD.WORLD. Now that is one of my favourite songs of all time, and i mean ALL TIME. I first heard it when Keay introduced the song to me, together with the movie Donnie Darko, in which it was featured. It's the Jake Gyllenhael movie with that freaky rabbit suit about time travel and the apocalypse kinda mind-fuck movie. Now Tears For Fears were the original singers of the song, with a very sucky 80s disco kinda arrangement. For the movie, Gary Jules turned it into a haunting track, which is the version I love. Adam Lambert today improved on that version with more theatrics and drama, most haunt with those high notes. I thought the rendition was STUNNING and his voice suited the apocalyptic element that Gary Jules unearthed so well.

For once, Simon gave a standing ovation, and after which ALL 4 JUDGES stood up. Now I didn't know if they all stood up because they wanted to make up for the lack of critique (because they were running out of time), but that has NEVER happened on Idol, except when they crown the winner. WTH!

Now I can ONLY HOPE that Simon's ovation was given on the account that he knew Gary Jule's rendition already existed. I think he should, since I kinda remember Gary's version going to number 1 on the UK charts. If not it would be down to last year's situation when David Cook was accused of taking all the credit for Chris Cornell's arrangement of Billie Jean. keeping my fingers crossed for that, and for a make-up critique tomorrow.

Seriously, how many people can just sit there and sing and WOW. This is the first time that I truely believed that Adam Lambert will be THE AMERICAN IDOL. All along i've had doubts because Idol is a family show after all, but with the response so far, he is the one to beat.




Now for the best, and worst, of the rest.

Danny But-the-Go-in Gokey. His voice reminded me of Michael Bolton today. NOT GOOD. its got a nice raspy quality to it, but I didnt really find it endearing. and the judges over-rated him! he was only mediocre at best tonight.
Kris has a nice tone, but that's just it. His voice is kinda limiting actually. and tonight he was forced to stand on the moshpit from hell, surrounded by upclose-and-personal swaybots. after Matt's terrible critique at the same spot last week, I'm beginning to think that spot is jinxed. Not good.
Poor Lil. you know you're in trouble when Paula started the slamming with a serious serious face, followed by a shot at Ricky Minor and the band. I was entertained by Lil though, but I guess that's because I loveeeee that song. I saw the "copycat" comment coming from the way Lil immitated Tina's walk and swagger. Poor Lil.
Scott the wild angel. "Embrace the Braille!". Appreciated his hard work at trying out his punk side, but the song was too huge for him.
"same arrangement" for Allison?! asking her to be "talkative and likeable"?!thankyou Simon, but we love our Allison the way she is, and she has showed PLENTY of personality with those wide-eyed shots and her response during result nights and interviews. Allison is turning out to be one of the most mis-judged contestants ever on the show. and Paula, that was DEFINITELY not the same arrangement. it was more rocked out to suit Allison. Please listen to Bonnie Raitt's song again because that is one of the best songs in the world.and this goes out to everyone:



Bonnie Raitt's I Can't Make You Love Me. such a sad song.


Tears For Fear's version of Mad World, circa 1982.


Gary Jules' version.


Adam Lambert's version.




"and I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad. the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hee i din noe tears for fears were such kids! i tot they r like old guys :P and it's really a sucky disco-y arrangement man... adam's was super cold and yes, haunting! :D
i hate michael bolton -.- haha

Unknown said...

sorry i meant cool, not cold... but the lights did make him look icy :P