Sunday, April 27, 2008

Another suitcase in another hall

I remember in between 1996-1999, i discovered the vcd on my computer. One of the very first movies i caught on vcd, if memory serves me well, was My Best Friend's Wedding and Evita. Back then i was living in a 3-room flat across the PIE from CSS. i shared a room with my sister and the Faye Wong casette tapes accompanied me to sleep almost every night. my mum use to scold me for plugging in the walkmen to bed. "bad for the ear", she would say. I remember how i use to love sitting outside my corridor steps, and once, after gettin my hands on the freshly released Faye Wong EP "Toys", i listened to it over and over and over again there and then. I miss the sounds of the PIE, then endless traffic that served as a constant distraction. Here in my new bedroom, silence is the default noise. luckily, my sound system is louder than the Walkman i use to have.

My Walkmen is now broken. it's hidden somewhere in the house.

that was a digression. back in the days when neighbours treat neighbours food and climb onto their window ledge to see what they were doin inside, peering over the glass window pane tryin to catch a figure sleepin or whatever it is they're doin, i borrowed the vcd from my neighbour. i didnt want to admit this in the past because it seemed embarassing and cliche. But i gotta say, one of the first movies i shed tears for was EVITA. yes, that Madonna ego-vehicle musical about the life of Argentina first lady Eva Peron. i think it was the "Don't cry for me Argentina" scene and the "Ypu Must Love Me" scene. the latter showed a dying Madonna, askin for her lover to keep loving her despite her illness. Madonna has never sounded so heart-breakin in her life-time.Andrew Llyod Webber taught the lady how to SING. seeing her propped on a wheelchair and carried upstairs by her fellow actor, there was something tragic about that piece. her eventual death scene wasnt as touching. i remember watching that vcd over again just to let myself cry, just to relive that experience of crying over a film, and to see if it would have the same effect, or whether it was a moment of fluk the first time round.

Watching American Idol Andrew Llyod Webber week brought back that memory. pardon me for linkin everything back to American Idol ahahahhahaha. Brooke-Bambi-White totally ruined that song. but it got me interested enough to dig out that old OST, still in the make-shift case i put in to lend to QJ. Jason Castro also RUINED "Memory", but got me interested to watch CATS. and if there's any consolation for Carly's undeserved exit, it's that her performance make me wana see Donny Osmond in that seemingly cheesiest Jesus Christ Superstar musical.

AI, on top of gettin people rooting for someone or cursing at someone's terrible performance or untimely exit, was for me an introduction to the icons of pop culture. the show got me interested enough to purchase my first Barbra Streisand CD which is one of the best CDs i have. it introduced me to the music of Heart, Earth Wind Fire, Neil Sedaka, Barry Manilow, Burt Bacharach, Dolly Parton, etc etc. kimberley's pop-ish "New York state of Mind" got me irked at Joanna Wong's recent cover, no version of "What are you doing the rest of your life?" (other than Barb's) can compare to Fantasia's IMO, and no one can sing "My Funny Valentine" better than Melinda Doolittle. except mayb Frank Sinatra.

No comments: