Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Eat Pray Love




i've not seen the movie yet (sigh), but reading the interview made me fall for Julia Roberts. I now understand why she is the best-paid actress in Hollywood. Few actresses nowadays can command the screen the way she does, without saying a word. that's star power, her whole being, and it's a throwback to the classic leading lady.



"EW: Have you ever been in such a dark and sad place as liz finds herself in the movie?
Roberts: As a younger person, (with) problems that are more unformed and immature, I'm sure. There's a moment where you're hitting the compass and it's just not giving you the way to go.

EW: When was that for you exactly?

Roberts: Well, my whole 20s was like that: trying out this idea of things, working a lot, and moving away from home at 17 and being away from my mom. So there are times when you're figuring out those puzzles where you really do feel lost. "Do I really want to be an actor? Is it really going to work out?" You want to talk about a series of breakdowns? Talk to any actors in their 20s. You just never know if it's going to click.
.
.
.
EW: it's hard to believe, but this year marks the 20th anniversary of the release of Pretty Woman. What advice would you give to your younger self if you could?Roberts: Nothing. The funny thing is, I'm still so much that same person, really. I think that you're born that person - becoming famous doesnt make tou crazy. I just dont believe any of that crap. Twenty years is, first of all, a drop of water. It's all still kind of hilarious and unbelievable to me. And I have so many places to put the big weight of identity of my life that movies just will never have that. They just fulfill me in a different place.

EW: Do you obsess over your appearance? Do you like the way you look today?

Roberts: I'm human. Sometimes I, like anybody, wake up in the morning and go, "F---, Really? THIS is the starting point?" Havent you ever picked up a picture of yourself from, like, five years ago, and you look at yourself and you go, "And I had no appreciation for how lovely I looked, how fit and healthy I looked." So now I say, "Now listen. Ten years from now, you're really going to think you should have appreciated yourself more." And I', raising a daughter, and I really want to empower her by example.

EW: At the end of the movie, your character comes up with one word to sum up where she is in her life. I'm sure you've been asked this dozens of times already, but what's your word?
Roberts: What is my word? Has anybody asked me that? I dont think so. What do you think it is? If someone said "What is Julia Roberts' word? You just spent an hour with her."

EW: Balance?

Roberts: Balance is good. You know, I probably would say happy. Just happy. It's so easy to be really, truly happy, and so easy to forget that and get grumpy. I know it's a shock, but I can be grumpy."
- Entertainment Weekly #1114, August 6, 2010

No comments: