Thursday, August 06, 2009

dance like there's no tomorrow (indeed)



"Paula Abdul has announced on her Twitter feed, and Fox has confirmed, that she will not return to American Idol for another season. Abdul gave notice through proper channels before posting on Twitter, according to a Fox spokesperson. A source familiar with the negotiation says Abdul walked away from a 30 percent raise and an eight-figure deal. Below is the full statement from Abdul:

“With sadness in my heart, I’ve decided not to return to IDOL. I’ll miss nurturing all the new talent, but most of all being a part of a show that I helped from day 1 become an international phenomenon. What I want to say most, is how much I appreciate the undying support and enormous love that you have showered upon me. It truly has been breathtaking, especially over the past month. I do without any doubt have the BEST fans in the entire world and I love you all.”
The full statement from Fox:

“Paula Abdul has been an important part of the American Idol family over the last eight seasons and we are saddened that she has decided not to return to the show. While Paula will not be continuing with us, she’s a tremendous talent and we wish her the best.”

Fellow judges Randy Jackson and Simon Cowell – who has said in the past that he does not want to do Idol without Abdul — are not commenting. Idol host Ryan Seacrest posted a response on Twitter: “I am shocked and saddened.”
(Reporting by Lynette Rice and Michael Slezak)



Following Paula Abdul’s Twitter announcement, and Fox’s confirmation, on Tuesday night that the American Idol judge will not return for the show’s ninth season, here’s what people are saying:

Ryan Seacrest (via Twitter): “Idol and the cast have grown with each other over the last 8 seasons. I can’t imagine the panel without Paula. She’s a star @ a great friend.”

Blake Lewis (Idol season 6 runner-up): “Paula leaving American Idol is like a honeycomb without the honey. She brought a sweetness to the AI that no one can replace. She will be forever our girl.”

Brooke White (season 7 finalist): “I honestly didn’t think she was going to leave Idol. When I saw her Tweet, I said ‘Wow!’…Sitting on the edge of that stage, you feel pretty vulnerable out there. And when you’re getting chewed up, any sort of relief is nice. Paula was that little ray of hope. She cushioned the blows a little bit. Not everyone at home liked that, but I can speak as someone who did sit at the edge of that stage, and to have someone who was concerned and caring helped.”

Jim Verraros (season 1 finalist): “She helped build [the show] from the ground up….I will never forget what she said: ‘Jim, you may not have won the gold medal, silver or even bronze. But you’re an Olympian. Remember that and how far you’ve come.’ For that alone, I will always have nothing but the utmost love and respect for her.”

Keep checking back at this URL for further industry reaction.

(Reporting by Michael Slezak and Tim Stack)








sigh. it's a sad day for an Idol fan. no more "colour up your vocals" and the happy-hand-overhead clap =(=(=(

No comments: