Monday, March 28, 2011

my first near-death experience

i went on a swim yesterday, sunday, lacking the better knowledge that sunday pools are filled with kids, families, and crowds. so i went to the adult pool, and the corner lanes are filled with kids. without thinking too much, i swam in the middle lane. on the 2nd lap back, halfway round, it suddenly hit me that i was swimmin in the middle. the fear of drowning hit me. i tried to stay calm, but i was too nervous. i started to gasp for air and panic. i almost wanted to scream for help. during my moments underwater, in between breathes, i told myself to stay calm, stay calm. and luckily beside me was a lane-divider, which is basically a rope tied with buoys. i grabbed onto it and caught my breathe for a while, before slowly making my way back closer to the edge. it was a scary experience. really scary.
ad then the lifeguard was waiting for me at the end of the lap. i showed him a thumbs-up, and walked embarassingly to him. he told me to swim at the corner lanes if i am not a confident swimmer. for the rest of the time i got a lil paranoid that he might be talkin to the other lifeguards abt my shame. oh well.

i was truely afraid. i think after my fear of sucking in life, the fear of drowning is probably the most intense. i began to think what's gonna happen if i'm stuck in a plane crash next time. thank goodness for life vests. i think i'll be forever scarred now. my fear of water has now become my fear of drowning.

No comments: