Thursday, October 15, 2009

Mosaic Music Festical 2010




Cat Power, January 13
I reviewed Chan (pronounced "Shawn") Marshall's first album of covers, "The Covers Record", a while back. Some of you may have seen, or heard, her most famous song "The Greatest" by now, through my postings here, as well as on facebook. Her smokey vocals and improvised live performance will leave me in rapture I'm sure.





Andrew Bird, January 26
Certain albums or songs serve as soundtracks to our lives, and there's also albums that mark your travels, like a travelogue that reminds you of the smell and sight of places. Andrew Bird's "Noble Beast", together with a Starbucks compilation of love song covers (I seldom, or close to never, buy compilation albums, unless they are supremely comprehensive and value for money, or have a consistency in its theme. In this case, it's the latter, and also features some of my favourite acts. hee), played like soundtracks to my surreal USA trip. In the way lady-luck smiled and awarded me with a fairy-tale-like victory, AB's album is filled with sounds from nature and creatures unseen or unheard, like an imaginery dreamscape. Mixing violins with his alluring yet unintrusive vocals, AB created an album of folk ditties that contrasted against the urbanised city, and soothes along with the man-made nature of Central Park. I've read positive reviews about the album, and thought I should give it a try. Moreover, it was on discount. My only regret was that I would miss his show at Madison Square Garden when I was there.



It is going to be an exciting January lineup and leadup to the birthday. YAY!

But it's a tad disheartening to know that no one around you appreciates the same things as you do. Love unshared is love without. But I guess I'll survive.

No comments: